Monday, February 7, 2011

Why SuperSmart Carbon?

In our family, we talk about science a lot.  Not as frequently as we discuss the Cubs, Blackhawks or Star Wars, but still quite a bit.  We whip out the IPad and check out the sun bursts on the 3D Sun App.  We visit NASA.gov to get the latest discoveries by the Kepler mission.  We read books together like “The Disappearing Spoon” by Sam Kean.  As parents, we try to introduce science into everyday conversations with our third grader.  I have created this blog to fuel conversations in families like ours about science.
But why the name SuperSmart Carbon?  Quick answer – “Smart Carbon” was taken by a green energy company.  The long answer is that I was looking for a name that might entice families to learn about science together.  Carbon is the basis of all life, so I thought it would be a good place to start our science odyssey. Smart emphasizes our focus on developing knowledge.  When stymied by the use of “Smart Carbon” already on the internet, I brainstormed ideas with my daughter, and she quickly came up with adding “Super” – a perfect beginning!
On this blog, I will regularly post on science topics for families with elementary-age kids.  The posts will be short and hopefully wet kids’ appetites to learn more.  I will post links to sites that we find interesting and I will share books that we have enjoyed.  I am always looking for topic ideas – please let me know what you would like to hear about!

No comments:

Post a Comment